In the Beginning. . .
But the founders of Holy Trinity church only became more resolved. As early as April of 1859 they purchased three lots for their new building. After some disagreement in Cincinnati the Chancellor, deciding things in the Archbishop’s absence, was very disapproving, the returning Archbishop did agree to sign off on the project. No records exist of the groundbreaking ceremony, but the cornerstone for our church was laid on May 17, 1860. The Civil War slowed progress on the building efforts, however, so the church was not dedicated until August 15, 1861. The red brick edifice, built primarily by workers who were paid in groceries, stood 130 feet by 60 feet. All that was not finished was our beautiful steeple, which wasn’t completed until 1868.